We Need to Talk: Using the MIRROR Method to Communicate Creatively through Conflict
Number of Participants: Up to 30
Duration: Half Day
Many complex workplace situations begin with a simple concern – a one-off incident of poor attitude, missed deadline, customer complaint, work error or coworker disagreement.
These issues often become complex, positional and emotionally-charged because too much time passes before being brought to the attention of those involved – in a proactive and informal manner.
The first step to any constructive conflict management – and a necessary ingredient for high performing teams – is to simply talk to the individual involved.
During this workshop, Marli will give you a clear and practical framework to use when having challenging conversations. Marli will outline what it means to be a respectful speaker and listener, and how to properly address any disrespect that might arise ‘in the moment.
- The three types of workplace conversations for leaders – inquiry, coaching and boundaries
- The importance of preparation
- How to speak so others will listen
- How to listen so others will speak
- How to ensure respect continues beyond the ‘conversation’
- What to do in the face of tears, anger or defensiveness
- How to respond if it becomes a ‘blame or shame’ game
- What to do when behaviour is attributed to medical or personal issues
- How to get a conversation that’s gone ‘sideways’ back on track
Supplemental Training Resources:
- The MIRROR Method book
- The MIRROR Method workbook
- Certificate of Achievement